UPDATE 09/14/14: Spotted the Madhava Organic Coconut Sugar back in the store. We’ve not seen it since last year. It is now priced at $8.99 for a 3-lb bag. Unit price is $2.997/lb. Unit price was $2.498/lb last year so it’s more expensive this year. Item number is different as well, #706477.
PUBLISHED 07/20/14: Costco has greatly increased the number of organic items it carries in the store in the last several months. The increase in variety has been very noticeable here in the Bay Area stores.
From chia seeds to flax seeds to sprouted pumpkin seeds, coconut water, agave , quick cooking steel cut oats and now, an item we didn’t even know existed – Organic Coconut Sugar.
I was curious about this product so I did some research.
First, coconut sugar is NOT obtained from the coconut fruit.
It is actually derived from the nectar of coconut palm tree blossoms/buds. The nectar is boiled to evaporate the water, and the remaining concentrated nectar is crystallized into sugar.
Here are some other interesting facts about Madhava Organic Coconut Sugar:
- Does NOT taste like coconut!
- Has a caramelized maple flavor and can replace brown sugar in recipes
- Coconut sugar has naturally occurring nutrients, including magnesium, potassium, zinc, iron, B vitamins and amino acids (including glutamine).
- Nothing is removed, added or altered in the production of coconut sugar (unlike regular sugar)
- Considered sustainable because the coconut tree can continually produce for 80-90 years
- No GMOs
- 1:1 replacement for sugar
Madhava was founded by Bart Utley in Colorado. It is still privately owned and operates in the foothills of Colorado.
Madhava Organic Coconut Sugar is available in Costco in a 4 lb bag for $9.99.
Unit price is $2.50/lb or 15.6 cents/oz.
Check out our post on Madhava Organic Coconut Sugar – Is Costco Cheaper? for a cost comparison.
Item number is 683398.
Have you tried coconut sugar? What did you think?